Backrest poufs: features, models and choices
The pouf is an amazing design invention. This element of the interior combines compact size, practicality and convenience. Modern manufacturers offer poufs in various colors and shapes. A special place in the assortment is occupied by products with a back. Let's consider the features and varieties of such models in more detail.
Features, advantages and disadvantages
A pouf with a back is an object that resembles a soft chair or a miniature chair without armrests. The advantages of such furniture are obvious.
- Back support helps to reduce muscle tension.
- The products have a solid, complete appearance. They are able to decorate any interior.
- Unlike bulky chairs, such items weigh little, so they can be easily moved around the house.
- Puffs also take up a little space, which allows them to be placed even in small rooms.
The products are functional. They can be used as a seating position, a stand for bags. If you purchase the option with an inner drawer, you can get additional storage space for small items.
There are also drawbacks to this solution, although there are not many of them.
- The backrest increases the height of the product. Therefore, such an item is difficult to remove under the table or hide in another place.
- It is not very convenient to use a pouf chair as a footrest or a coffee table. You can only adapt it to play the role of a bedside table.
Although the products are mobile, they are usually placed against a wall. In the center of the room, such an element of the interior will look strange and inappropriate, unlike poufs without a back bar.
Nevertheless, a pouf with a backrest can be used in any part of the house.
- In the hallway, this item will be very useful. It will be possible to sit on it to change shoes, smear shoes with cream, tie the child's laces. Returning from the store or from work, it will be possible to put newspapers, bags with groceries, a bag on the pouf.
- On the loggia or on the balcony, a soft ottoman chair will allow you to comfortably enjoy the beautiful view and fresh air.
- In the kitchen, the model with a backrest can function as a bar stool or additional seating.
- In the bedroom, you can put a pouf by the bed or in front of the makeup table. A product with beautiful upholstery will emphasize the sophistication of the environment and become its highlight.
- In the nursery, a bright ottoman can function as a real chair for a little family member.
According to the type of frame, there are three types of ottomans.
- Products with an open frame are more like chairs. The frame can be made of wood or metal. The design options for such products are varied.
- Closed-frame poufs look like mini-chairs. In this case, the design of the back and seat looks like a single unit. The frame is completely covered with fabric. Such an object can stand on legs or on a solid base.
- Frameless models look like large bags of a certain shape. Expanded polystyrene is often used as a filler for products.
Standing apart is a pouf-bench with a drawer. The opening seat allows you to use the item as efficiently as possible. The product can be straight or angled. The second option fits perfectly into small rooms, occupying an empty corner.
Especially often such poufs are placed in hallways. They store umbrellas, bags, slippers and other things, while closed, they are used for their intended purpose.
Sizes and shapes
The dimensions of the poufs may vary. This applies to both the width of the product and the height. The back can only slightly rise above the seat, be medium or very high, making the object look like a throne. The width of the products varies from 50 to 100 cm and more (for large corner models). The average height of ottomans is from 70 to 85 cm.
As for the shapes of such furniture, they are also different.
Such puffs look quite strict, especially if they are made in restrained colors and finished with leather. A similar product would be appropriate in the hallway or on the balcony. It is also suitable for a room if the owner prefers a business style of the interior.
Models with rounded shapes seem more cozy and graceful. More often it is these products that are chosen for bedrooms, spacious dressing rooms, living rooms. For a nursery, this option is also preferable. Objects that do not have sharp corners do not pose a danger to a small family member, since the risk of injury is minimized.
Such products are more like a mini sofa. Depending on the size, two or even three people can be put on such an object. Typically, these models are equipped with an internal storage compartment. It turns out to be a very practical and roomy interior element. Usually, such models are placed in hallways, where they perform several functions at once.
If you wish, you can find a pouf with an unusual shape. For example, the back can be heart-shaped or triangle-shaped. A pouf on a frame may resemble a large shoe, and a frameless version may look like a pearl shell or some kind of fruit.
First of all, it is worth highlighting the materials used to make the frame of the products. These are various types of wood, chipboard, MDF, metal, natural and artificial rattan. To make the seat soft, a special filler is placed under the finish. It can be synthetic winterizer, holofiber, polyurethane foam.
As for the exterior finish, the assortment here is quite wide.
- Leather. Solid material with a high price tag. The advantages include strength, durability, noble appearance and ease of maintenance.
- Artificial leather. A budget analogue of the previous material. Quality varieties of eco-leather have all the same advantages as natural materials.
- Velours. The velvety fabric, pleasant to the touch, looks very beautiful. However, over time, it can wipe off if you use the product very actively.
- Flock. Durable, breathable, wear-resistant fabric that does not lose its original appearance for a long time. The only caveat is electrifying. The product will have to be periodically cleaned of dust and small debris.
- Jacquard. Beautiful material with expressive relief. It is not prone to abrasion, durable, unpretentious in care.
- Chenille. Thick fabric with high wear resistance and pleasant texture.
- Artificial suede. Soft fabric that looks like a natural counterpart.
- Nylon, microfiber and other moisture resistant fabrics. They are usually used to make frameless poufs. They are not very pleasant to the touch; during operation, they can emit a rustling sound. But such a pouf can be safely taken to a picnic or to a summer cottage. High humidity and light pollution are not terrible for such products.
Choosing the color and design of the ottoman, it is worth deciding whether it will be a harmonious addition to the furnishings or a bright highlight of the interior. In the first case, the color must be selected for other furniture. In the second, the product will effectively stand out against the general background and attract attention. In any case, it is important to consider the style of the environment.
For example, models upholstered in noble fabrics fit well into the classic interior. A carriage coupler, curly legs are appropriate. In a modern room, you can put a model of the original design both on legs and on a solid base.
And also when choosing, the place in which this piece of furniture will be located is of great importance.
It is better to put a product in the kitchen made of materials that are resistant to moisture and dirt. The same goes for the hallway. In both cases, buying a model made of eco-leather would be an excellent solution.
In the living room and bedroom, the focus is on the appearance of the furniture. Here you just need to choose the right size and type of pouf. If you plan to sometimes use the product as a stand for magazines, books, a tray with drinks, it is better to pay attention to wide frame models with a small back.
For a nursery, the best option would be a soft frameless pouf. It is better to choose a bright color.
Examples in the interior
A few examples of the practical use of a pouf with a backrest allow you to be convinced of its diversity:
- the color of luscious greenery cheers up and makes the pouf-chair an interesting interior accent;
- in a restrained beige and brown range, such products look very noble;
- an unusual combination of a carriage tie and a smooth texture, two-tone design and gilding at the bottom form an unusual and comfortable product;
- a snow-white soft pouf fits perfectly into a strict modern environment;
- for those who value originality and minimalism, designers offer special models.
An overview of a pouf with a back in the video below.