Garden furniture: stylish outdoor sets
You can make a suburban area well-groomed and aesthetically attractive not only by planting it with plants and flowers. The exterior is best decorated with quality garden furniture. It is used not only on terraces or gazebos, but also outside. True, garden things are very different from those that everyone is used to seeing in houses. To find the most suitable kits or make them yourself, you need to study all the available information and see inspiring design examples.
All garden furniture can be roughly divided into two main groups - it can be heavy and light. Light furniture are those items that are installed in the warm season on terraces or verandas. As the name implies, such furniture is lightweight. This includes chairs, tables and sun loungers. They are easy to carry from place to place and hide when the weather changes from sunny to cold and rainy.
As for heavy furniture, it is installed once and permanently stays in a certain place. This includes massive tables, benches, or connected sets. For them, you need to very carefully choose a place, since then they will not be able to move.
As a rule, this category includes heavy furniture made of brick or even concrete. Various sheds and fences are used to protect things from negative weather conditions. In some cases, tables and chairs are simply placed under the trees in the garden. It is convenient and practical.
Both of these categories, despite their differences, combine the parameters that make outdoor furniture popular.
- Practicality. This is the most important point. For a summer residence, you should not buy any easily soiled or fragile things. It should be borne in mind that the country furniture is used very actively, so it must be durable and withstand even severe mechanical damage.
- Attractiveness. Appearance also plays a very important role. In order to want to spend as much free time in nature as possible, you need to decorate the territory with furnishings pleasing to the eye. Furniture should match the style of the landscape design of the yard and be combined with other elements on the site.
- Price. This parameter cannot be ignored either. Garden furniture very often falls into disrepair due to weather conditions or the peculiarities of its use. Therefore, many do not want to invest in expensive garden kits. You have to either give preference to affordable things, or do it yourself.
However, the fact that furniture for a summer residence is homemade does not mean that it cannot be beautiful. This can be seen with examples.
There are both standard types of garden furniture and quite unusual ones.
This category includes ordinary tables, chairs, benches and benches. They can be sold individually or as complete sets. This is a necessary minimum for a holiday in the country.
This includes all sorts of folding furnishings. These can be transforming chairs that turn into a chaise longue if necessary, folding tables and chairs that are easy to put into the house after dinner. This type of furniture is most often used if the plot is set aside for a vegetable garden and a garden and does not live here for a long time.
Inflatable furniture should be mentioned separately. This is a real find for owners of small plots.Large inflatable chairs or sofas, if released from them, turn into "bags" that almost do not take up space. Children will also like these things, since summer inflatable pieces of furniture are usually made bright and colorful.
Soft inflatable sun loungers are especially popular. These loungers can resemble simple mattresses. But often they are supplemented with headrests or soft armrests. The good thing about inflatable things is that in which case they can be easily cleaned of dirt by simply holding them under a stream of water.
Garden furniture is either metal or wicker or wood. Each category has its own advantages and disadvantages, which should be considered before deciding on a purchase.
First of all, it is worth talking about the most demanded material, namely wood. The tree is very popular for a number of reasons. Such material is very malleable and, if necessary, it can be given any shape. Wooden furniture looks as natural as possible and fits into the exterior of the area planted with living plants. Finally, this material is available. If you do not take into account the expensive types of wood, then we can say that the raw materials are not so expensive.
It is also pleasantly pleasing that things made of natural wood will fit into the landscape design, regardless of the style in which the site is decorated. After all, you can do almost anything with wood - grind it, tint it, age it, varnish, paint or carve it. It all depends only on the imagination of the master.
It should be noted that a lot depends on what type of wood was used to create furniture.
Several of the most common types of wood.
- Oak and beech. These are the most expensive and high quality wood species. They are durable and resistant to mechanical damage. Oak or beech furniture serves for more than one year and can delight several generations with its appearance at once. These materials themselves are capable of resisting decay, so no additional finishing material is needed.
- Conifers. Pine, spruce, cedar and other conifers are also used to make garden furniture. Their main difference is that they are able to release resin. On the one hand, due to the specific aroma, this can be considered a plus. On the other hand, it is a minus, since the resin stains clothes if the furniture is not properly processed. Coniferous wood is also good because, like oak, it is quite durable and reliable.
- Larch. Those looking for furniture that can withstand both extreme heat and heavy rain will love things made from larch. In addition, such furniture is also easily restored if necessary.
- Teak. Teak is also durable. It is known as a material that has been used in shipbuilding for decades. Already on this one can understand that high humidity is not terrible for him. The special appearance of teak is also worth noting. This wood is covered with natural patterns that make furniture beautiful even without additional processing.
In addition to solid wood, various waste or blanks can be used for the manufacture of furniture. So, for example, deciding to make garden furniture with your own hands, you should pay attention to ready-made boards, jumpers and slats, which are easily connected with nails and screws and turn into sturdy tables and chairs.
You can also make chairs and tables with your own hands and from logs or stumps. The designs turn out to be a little unusual and slightly rough. But this cannot be called a disadvantage.
If the wood from eucalyptus, pine or any other wood species seems too rough and massive, then you should pay attention to the lightest wicker structures. They are made from both natural and artificial rattan. Affordable armchairs and sofas made of vines or twigs are also popular.To create them, flexible types of wood are used, for example, bird cherry.
The main advantage of wicker furniture over another is its appearance. Despite their simplicity, these things look really charming. There are many types of weaving, so you can always get some really original and attractive thing.
Also, a plus can be called the fact that such furniture is environmentally friendly. It does not harm either nature or human health.
And in order for things made of rattan or vine to please with their durability, they need to be additionally covered with a layer of varnish or oil and renewed every few years.
Various types of metal are also used for the manufacture of furniture. The most attractive from an aesthetic point of view are sets with forged inserts. It looks incredibly beautiful. At the same time, despite the seeming fragility, such tables, chairs and benches are very durable and can withstand even a really large weight.
Metal furniture can serve its owners for a long time. But for this it is important to take proper care of her. So, for example, corrosion must be constantly cleaned from metal. It is important to remember that it is much easier to prevent serious problems with furniture from arising than to solve them by taking things for restoration or buying something new.
In addition to these three main materials, concrete and cast iron are also used to create furniture. Although cast iron furniture looks a little rough, in some cases it can be the perfect addition to your garden.
Overview of popular styles
There are many interesting stylistic directions in which different garden kits are presented. Some of them can be called old, others look more modern.
This style is now popular both in clothing and in the design world. Therefore, it is not surprising that garden plots began to be decorated, following the trends of minimalism. This is very convenient, since there is enough free space and the yard does not look cluttered and too small.
This trend is characterized by the use of light, light furniture. It is not decorated with bright prints or forged elements. A typical representative of minimalism is a light set of wicker or wooden chairs, which takes center stage on the site.
However, many still choose not modern trends, but traditions tested over the centuries. Therefore, the garden stranded in the style of the French province remains loved by many. Light wicker chairs made of light vines, comfortable rocking chairs, antique sets - all these are things in the Provence style. Aged furniture can be brushed, decorated using decoupage technique or covered with a special varnish that cracks over time.
Such things will be appropriate in green gardens, where you really want to create a romantic atmosphere.
This Mediterranean destination combines everything you need for complete relaxation. From furniture in Scandinavian-style gardens, you can use large sun loungers, folding chairs and comfortable sets of light furniture. If the site is decorated in this style, you can use a huge number of soft pillows, light capes and green plants in pots as decorative elements. There will not be superfluous and original swing, complemented by a comfortable cape.
On the plot next to a luxury cottage and furniture should be appropriate. Here you should pay attention not to country and Provence, but to a modern loft or Italian classics. Luxurious sets are created mainly from natural wood of expensive species and metal. Nice wrought-iron inserts are welcome, which really ennobles even the simplest chairs.
In terms of colors, garden furniture is no less varied than ordinary furniture.But here it is worth noting that many conservatives prefer to buy dark things for their site, since they are less easily soiled. These can be dark brown, coffee or gray kits. Natural shades of wood are popular, since many craftsmen do not paint their things with paint, but only apply varnish on top.
Rarely, white furniture is found in summer cottages. This is not surprising, because it gets dirty easily, so it needs constant care.
But bright colors are welcome. Therefore, against the backdrop of green gardens, bright blue, yellow and red benches, tables and chairs are often found. Often the homeowners themselves paint the furniture, trying to give it individuality.
Today, many manufacturers are engaged in the production of garden and country furniture. The Scandinavian brand has an excellent reputation Ikea... They not only create great home furnishings, but also quality garden items. This manufacturing company pleases with democratic prices and high quality.
The domestic brand also receives good reviews. Gardenello... This company has been producing expensive luxury furniture for a long time, which can really become a decoration of a garden plot. You can find anything in their assortment - from garden swings to original sets with chairs and tables.
Also, you can not ignore the things that come from Italy. It is Italian furniture that most buyers associate with high quality and attractive appearance. The two most popular brands from Italy today are Mobilificio LM and Concepto.
How to choose?
When choosing garden furniture for your site, attention should be paid not only to the brand. It is necessary to take into account several points at once that will facilitate the process of choosing good things for your site.
- Dimensions. First of all, it is important to consider the parameters of the furniture. It shouldn't be too big or take up too much space. If the yard is very small, then it is best to limit yourself to a narrow table and several benches, for example. But on a large territory, you can "roam", choosing whatever you like.
- Quality. Also, we must not forget about the quality of things. If possible, it is better to test the furniture and check whether it can support a lot of weight. There should be no scratches, dents or other visible damage on the surface of the furniture. If there is fabric upholstery or some kind of decor, then all this should also be well fixed and not damaged.
- Equipment. Separately, it should be borne in mind that furniture is sold both in sets and separately. Most buyers prefer to take a whole set at once, since in this case you can be sure that all things are combined with each other and will serve as a decoration for the site.
- Price. Price also plays an important role. It makes no sense to buy too expensive furniture on the street, especially if the budget is already small. But at the same time, you should not sacrifice quality, preferring to buy cheap, but fragile things. Over time, they will either deteriorate, or they will need another repair, which will still cost money.
Considering all these points, you can find furniture that is optimal for a summer residence, without giving up anything.
What can you do with your own hands?
But not everyone buys ready-made furniture for a suburban area. Hand-made things are not only an opportunity to save money, but also proof that the owner of the yard is a jack of all trades. There are many ways to make simple and beautiful furniture with your own hands from available tools.
Homemade items are the most popular.made of wood, because wood is an affordable material, like all its derivatives. True, it should be borne in mind that not all types of wood can be used to make furniture with your own hands. For example, craftsmen do not advise beginners to work with pine.But oak, hornbeam or ash, on the contrary, lend themselves to processing easily. You can make a simple chair or table out of them. And if you have artistic skills, you can also decorate the base with carved patterns.
Another common option is pallet garden furniture. They are also made of wood, but they are much easier to work with. To create a wooden bench or a table from pallets, they need to be knocked down and painted with varnish or paint.
Some craftsmen even make original sofas from pallets. For this, the base, knocked down from two or three pallets, is sheathed with soft pillows. You can also sew them yourself. The pallet coffee table also looks original. To create it, you only need the pallets themselves and impact-resistant glass, which serves as a table top. This design is also beneficial in that some little things can be folded between the boards. A table in which this space is filled with drawers looks especially beautiful.
As an alternative to expensive metal furniture, you can use things made by hand from a profile pipe. They are not so durable, but if you have imagination, they can definitely be made no less beautiful.
Almost any improvised means can be used - from a bar to a cracked barrel or old boxes. Using your imagination, nails and decorative accessories, you can create beautiful furniture for your site.
Beautiful examples for inspiration
- In the process of creating furniture or decorating a site, ready-made ideas also help. You can use someone else's design ideas, the main thing is not to copy everything completely. Here are some interesting ideas that you can implement at different sites.
- The first option is high quality modern terrace furniture. The base of the table and chairs are made of dark metal, and the top is made of wood. This combination looks simple and concise, but therefore no less attractive.
- Such a modern outdoor furniture set looks great against the backdrop of a courtyard decorated with stone and concrete and complemented by a huge stylish fireplace.
- The second example can also be attributed to the minimalism style. But in this case, the outdoor sofa is made by hand, which only increases its value. The base of the furniture is made of white painted pallets. From above they are trimmed with bright purple fabric, from one glance at which the mood immediately rises. The bright purple base and light lavender cushions look really good as the work is done neatly.
- A bright purple spot looks great in a green area among trees. The sofa does not even need to be supplemented with a table or other things.
- To decorate a veranda, terrace or gazebo, an original hand-made table is suitable. It also serves as a stand for plants, which is also very practical. To do this, two pallets are knocked down so that the lower one protrudes slightly, creating a small "ladder". It is on it that the pots of flowers stand. They are also located in special cutouts in the very base of the table.
- The table itself is stylized in antique style. It looks a little shabby, but that only adds sophistication to it. Such a thing is suitable not only for the street, but also for the home, and will certainly fill it with coziness and spring charm.
- The last example is outdoor furniture complemented by upholstered seats. It will make any backyard cozy. To relax in the company of friends or relatives, it is enough to put a low table and supplement it with a sofa and two armchairs. This type of furniture is very light, therefore, if necessary, you can always take it into the house, hiding it from the rain, or move it to the veranda with the onset of winter. The decoration of this corner for relaxation will be a vase in which fresh flowers are constantly changing.
- Garden furniture is a real decoration of the site. It doesn't matter if it is bought or made by hand. The main thing is that things fit in style and size, and also please both the owners of the site and their guests with their practicality.
An overview of stylish outdoor sets of garden furniture in the next video.