DIY furniture for a summer residence: what can be made from scrap materials?
Almost all summer residents want to make their garden cozy and comfortable for relaxation, so that every family member is comfortable. And many are thinking about the upcoming costs of buying furniture.
After reading the article, you will learn how to make beautiful tables, sofas, ottomans, benches and other interior items with your own hands from scrap materials with minimal investment.
Features and Benefits
More and more owners of country houses, summer cottages prefer to make garden furniture on their own.
There are several reasons for this:
- it is easy to manufacture;
- costs are minimal;
- materials are readily available;
- creates individuality, carries a piece of the master's warmth and soul.
First, inspect the site and decide what and where you will equip.
If the garden is small, portable furniture will do., which you can rearrange to any place depending on the situation.
If space permits, you can separate the recreation area, summer kitchen, playground for children.
For the manufacture of country furniture, it is better to take natural materials:
Plastic is often used - it will last a long time, moreover, it is not afraid of dampness, and it is lightweight.
Minus - unsafe for the environment, flammable.
Universal material - almost all furnishings can be made of them: table, sofa, wardrobe, swing.
Description of the manufacture of a garden sofa. You will need tools:
- drill 3x4;
- fasteners (nuts, bolts, screws, washers);
- metal tubes and flanges for armrests;
- pallets 40x80 cm;
- rollers (legs);
- goggles, respirator;
- mattress and pillows, tailored to fit the sofa.
- sand the side and outer ribs with a sander to protect the feet from scratches;
- align the two pallets and apply 3 hole marks (1 in the center, 2 at the edges), drill the holes;
- connect with bolts and nuts, tighten them with a wrench;
- in the lower part of the future sofa, drill 4 holes in the corners for the wheels - legs;
- attach the armrests: assemble the tubes and flanges and fasten them with corners, paint them;
- cover the tree with wood stain or varnish;
- when the paint and varnish are dry, put the mattress and pillows.
Thanks to the castors, the sofa can be easily moved around the site, for the winter it is removed under the roof.
Logs, driftwood, trunks, logs, stumps
Suitable for making garden benches, chairs, sun loungers, original table legs.
Before you start working with wood, you need to dry it well.
The basis for the simplest bench made of a board and thick branches will perfectly serve as a stump from a long-cut tree, which you will not be going to uproot in any way.
Approximate work plan:
- trim and level the stump so that it has a flat horizontal surface;
- treat with an antiseptic;
- cover with clear varnish;
- prepare the board in the same way;
- attach it to the stump (with nails, screws);
- make the back from beautifully curved thick branches, connecting them in any convenient way;
- once again treat the entire structure with a waterproof outdoor varnish.
The original bench is ready. None of your neighbors have this.
Its main advantage is its low cost.
- in order to extend the service life, all wooden products are treated with wood stain, varnish or painted in any suitable color;
- it is better not to take coniferous logs and boards to create furniture, as their wood gives off resin.
Durable material, not afraid of dampness, heat and cold. Environmentally friendly.
You can equip a barbecue area. It makes beautiful and unusual seating.
The disadvantage is heavy, difficult to handle.
Garden furniture is often made from old tires - ottomans, armchairs, tables, swings.
They can be dyed or covered with fabric.
Consider, for example, how to make an ottoman out of a tire.
- drill, drill;
- construction stapler;
- 2 circles with a diameter of 56 cm made of chipboard or oriented strand board;
- rope 40 m long;
- legs (4 pieces);
- 4 wooden blocks, 20-25 cm each;
- self-tapping screws.
- Clean the tire from dirt, wash, dry.
- Using a furniture stapler, secure the burlap around the perimeter.
- For the rigidity of the structure, install 4 bars vertically inside the tire, they serve as a spacer.
- In the center of the chipboard circle, drill a hole with a diameter of 1 cm. Pull the rope into it, fasten it on the back side (tie with a knot).
- Screw the circle in four places along the edges with self-tapping screws to the bars - the supports. This rigid base will prevent the tire from deforming.
- On the opposite side, a second circle is attached to the ends of the bars.
- Legs are mounted to the bottom of the frame.
- Turn the structure over.
- Lay the rope in a spiral, fixing it with a stapler at regular intervals.
The ottoman is ready. If you add 2-3 more pieces to it and make a table (according to the scheme), you will get a cozy place for tea drinking in nature.
Furniture items made of car tires are easy to build, they will last a long time.
The only drawback is that the tires are flammable, unsafe from an environmental point of view.
Covers, pillows, capes are sewn from fabric.
You don't have to go to the store. Conduct a revision of cabinets and mezzanines, choose bright things that you no longer wear. Give them new life.
Any old, unnecessary things are suitable for arranging a summer residence, if you try to look at them from the other side. For example, plastic boxes or boxes can be turned into chairs by removing one side and adding a beautiful pillow and blanket.
From the forged legs of an old sewing machine, you will get an original table, just pick a suitable table top for it.
Look, maybe. after construction or repair, there were trim boards, iron pipes, facing tiles. A little imagination, effort, time, and these "waste" will turn into unique, useful objects pleasing to the eye.
How to make a table from an unnecessary tire, see the video below.