Corner sofas in the living room
Corner sofas in the living room are the optimal design solution for a special room. Upholstered furniture of this type transforms any type of room, bringing home comfort into the atmosphere. However, in order for the style to be inviting and complete, you need to know the features of this furniture, its constituent structures and location, depending on the model. In addition, it is important to take into account the style of the selected corner sofa.
Corner sofas are unique upholstered furniture, an alternative to straight models, which differs in the structure of the frame and has a number of advantages. The main feature of these sofas is the presence of a corner. It can be universal (having the ability to change from one side to the other), regular or island (a model in which a corner can be made from a sofa module).
The corner of the sofa is not so much its feature as the advantage of any corner model, because thanks to this design, the sofa can be placed in the corner of the wall so as to save literally every centimeter of usable space. This allows you to organize space even in a small room, in which there is no extra space, but you want to visually increase the area.
The corner sofas in the living room are unique in that they are multifunctional. During the day, they do an excellent job with the function of the guest area, where guests or family members can be accommodated. In most cases, corner sofas provide for transformation, so they are laid out at night, forming a full bed.
Moreover, the models are developed in such a way that the surface of the berth is always comfortable and even.
Corner sofa models are very comfortable. If you approach the choice of mats correctly, sleep will be not only serene, but also correct, which is important for the spine, the daily load on which is very high both day and night. In most cases, such upholstered furniture has a convenient folding mechanism, thanks to which the corner sofa can be transformed into a full-fledged bed in a matter of seconds. Therefore, regardless of the type of premises, this furniture is in great demand among buyers.
It is noteworthy that even a teenager can cope with most of the models with transformation, because the mechanisms are not only easy to operate, but also safe.
Corner sofas are comfortable upholstered furniture that can be of varying degrees of hardness (soft, moderately hard and optimally hard). Depending on your preferences, you can choose a corner option with a massage or orthopedic effect. Such constructions are not curative, however, they are considered a good prevention of diseases of the back, neck and extremities.
Today the choice of models of corner sofas is very diverse. This allows you to purchase the option you like, taking into account the dimensions of a particular room, its style and existing furniture. This way you can emphasize the idea of design or highlight the interior with a stylish accent without disturbing the harmony of the overall look.
Another advantage of corner sofas is their compactness when folded. In most cases, they look neat and do not clutter up the room. In addition, the models are unique in that they often do not need large free space for transformation.
With all the advantages, some models have a small disadvantage. Not all models can be placed close to the wall so that the backrest can be lowered unhindered. It depends on the characteristics of the particular transformation mechanism.
Depending on the material of the constituent corner sofas, they differ in cost. Thanks to this, you can choose a model so that it is convenient, comfortable and inexpensive.
Types and forms
Corner sofas in the living room are different. In a competitive environment, furniture manufacturing companies produce an assortment that amazes not only in general appearance, but also in functionality.
The familiar non-folding sofa model is giving way to transforming options. Today, even the most common type of sofa has its own meaning (for example, a corner can easily cope with the function of a comfortable chair, bedding and other things that take up a lot of space, but are used only on occasion can be folded into spacious drawers).
The most popular types of corner sofas include models with:
- bar table
- functional armrests-niches
- options without side parts
- modular structures
- models with wide armrests, thanks to which the possibility of additional organization of the workplace is created.
Models with wide armrests are very popular: today they are the focus of creative designers. It is for such structures that special overlays are developed from different materials (plywood, textiles, plastic, padding), which are a kind of organizers and turn a universal armrest into a mini-table for work, reading books, a small table for breakfast, and allow you to fix a table lamp.
As for the additional blocks connecting the straight part and the angle, their design is no less varied. (these can be corner niches, tea tables). The most interesting functionality of the armrests is the shelves. Anything can be placed on them, and the necessary items will always be at hand if necessary.
These armrests are usually soft and made from the same material as the main blocks (seat and back).
By type of design, corner sofas are folding, sliding (roll-out), non-folding. Depending on the model, they have a regular, long or low back. Sometimes in the collections of furniture companies there are options with a high back.
Some models feature a fixed, rigid back and are complemented by soft modular cushions.
In addition, the very shape of the sofa is different:
- In some cases, this is the usual classic with a right angle, consisting of two - maximum three parts. Usually, in such structures, most of it is transformed, making up a full-fledged sleeping place together with the corner piece.
- Among the island options there is no less variety. There are interesting, long models in the line, which, in addition to the folding part, have from five modules and more. This allows you to comfortably accommodate guests, such sofas are roomy, as they are equipped with a large number of spacious linen drawers. Even the corner part of them can have a niche or shelves (for books, CDs or other useful things).
- In addition, bay window corner sofas are also noteworthy.designed for a bay window in shape and size. More often, such models are made to order, since in general the shape of these structures is individual and differs from the standards of furniture enterprises. Unlike analogs, a bay window corner sofa cannot fill the ledge area symmetrically, therefore, in most cases, its design resembles a rectangular corner.
The transformation of the sofa is one of the differences between the models. In fact, the sofas are laid out as straight lines, and the angle does not participate in the transformation, but is an integral part of the berth.
There is a linen drawer under the corner piece.
There are several types of corner sofa mechanisms:
- Book - the model is transformed by raising the seat while lowering the back (a simple classic transformation technique);
- Eurobook - a modified book: the seat is lifted up and at the same time pushed forward, then lowered to the floor, after which they put the loops on the back and lower it down;
- Click-gag - a system similar to a book: the seat is first raised up until it clicks, while lowering the backrest, then lowered down;
- Dolphin - an option in which an additional block is hidden in a box under the seat; it unfolds simply: you need to pull the loop, roll the block forward under the seat, and then raise it to the desired height, forming a full-fledged bed place;
- Accordion - a structure that unfolds like accordion furs: the seat is pulled forward, while the double backrest, connected to the seat, unfolds automatically;
- Telescope - an original mechanism for pushing the seat out with the subsequent transfer of mats from its upper part to an open lattice with lamellas;
- Puma - a simple system reminiscent of a Eurobook: the seat is raised and at the same time pulled forward, lowering it to the floor (while the second seat block rises to the desired height, and the back rests in place);
- American clamshell - an interesting system in which you need to grab the backrest and pull it towards you, lowering the seat and backrest down, opening the sleeping bed (the backrest and seat will be under it);
- French clamshell - an alternative to the American folding bed with a small difference: first, the modules are removed from the seat, then the seat is lifted up to the desired height, and then the details of the sleeping bed are unfolded.
By the type of unfolding, roll-out mechanisms need more care: if there is a carpet on the floor, the pile can be clogged in the course of the rollers. In a folding system, metal elements are placed on the floor, so the floor surface is not important for such structures.
Corner sofas can add a homely atmosphere to the overall look of the room. Often they are the accents of the living room, therefore, they are selected taking into account the conceived idea in order to demonstrate it. Choosing the right option is not difficult at all: some models are so versatile that they can fit into different interior styles (for example, classic, modern and minimalism).
Often, sofas with an angle even change the mood of the room. They are bright accents of modern, neo-baroque, glamor, shabby chic and even Arabian themes. Often they themselves set the desired background, being a bright contrast to the living room.
The only thing they need in this case is the support of the style through other interior items or drawing wallpaper, paintings, curtains.
Corner sofas in the living room have a wide variety of parameters. They come in not only the usual standards designed for ordinary and small apartments. Today, manufacturers offer options for studio apartments and fairly spacious types of premises.
Such sofas are non-standard and, as a rule, rather large (3 meters and more).
However, the most popular today are the universal models for two and three seats. Depending on the fact that each furniture company has its own standards, the dimensions of the structures are different. On average, a sleeping bed for two is 200x200 cm, 210x210 cm, 210x240 cm and more. Unfolded small sofas form beds with a berth of 180x200 cm, 160x200 cm, 140x200 cm.
Living room corner sofas are made up of steel, wood, plywood, filler and upholstery. Basically, sofas with a frame have a metal base, a lattice base made of wood (elastic lattice) or a metal structure (spring base), mats, dressed in covers. The padding is one of the main components of the corner sofa.The service life of any model depends on it.
There are two types of seat and back mats: springless and spring-loaded.
Springless packing is a modern alternative to spring blocks. Today, sofa fillers are made using new technologies, which eliminates the rapid caking of the material and ensures a long service life of the mats.
Thanks to the padding, the seat and backrest have optimal softness.
By the type of execution, a block without springs is:
- monolithic - when using a single layer of one material;
- combined - consisting of a solid base inside, supplemented at the top and bottom with other material to give the required rigidity;
- flaky - a structure that does not have a core and represents sheets of the same thickness (3-4 cm), but different materials, glued with a special glue.
There are several types of springless packing:
- natural latex;
- synthetic latex;
- polyurethane foam;
- coconut fleece;
- synthetic winterizer;
- synthetic fluff;
Each type has its own characteristics and is developed taking into account different loads:
- Latex mats provide for different levels of body pressure. They are characterized by a porous structure with cylindrical cells.
- Polyurethane foam mats somewhat simpler and less durable, but with the right choice they will last up to 12 years (a latex block is designed for 15 years).
- Coyra more often it is a component of a combined block, since this filler itself can break with a large weight load.
- Sintepon, holofiber and struttofiber serve as complements to the blocks, providing the desired softness.
- Sintepon and synthetic winterizer they are used more often in additional pillows, although in some models of sofas, manufacturers also use them in the block.
The following video will tell you more about these and other materials.
Spring block corner sofas are divided into two categories: dependent and independent. In two cases, these are twisted steel elements arranged vertically. The design difference lies in the fact that in the first case, the springs are connected to each other and the frame by a mesh, and in the second, the connection is made by means of individual woven covers put on each spring of the block.
The best of the two is the mat with independent springs. It is such a block that creates the correct position of the spine, regardless of whether a person is sitting or lying down. Each spring flexes on its own, not leading away those nearby.
And if you consider that the springs are supplemented with rigid springless packing, then such a block can become a worthy alternative to orthopedic mats.
The disadvantage of dependent springs is wave formation under load. If two people are sleeping on the couch, one of them will roll down to the other. Moreover, the formation of a hole will lead to an unnatural posture of the body, which is harmful to the spine, excludes proper rest and undisturbed sleep. Therefore, at the base of the sofa there should be latticed battens (so that the mat does not bend).
The upholstery material for corner sofas for the living room is distinguished by a variety of assortment of raw materials used:
- Genuine leather is a favorite of the upholstery. These sofas look luxurious in any living room. In addition, this material is more practical and more reliable than others in operation. It is resistant to abrasion, mechanical damage, does not allow dust, dirt and moisture to pass through.
- However, leather upholstery significantly increases the cost of the model, so manufacturers produce analogues with their eco-leather and leatherette upholstery. They are somewhat inferior to leather upholstery materials, but more practical than textile covers.
- The fabric upholstery is very varied and colorful. It is not as aristocratic as leather, but it gives a lot of design possibilities, made of flock, velor, jacquard and furniture tapestry.In addition, the fabric allows dust, dirt and moisture to pass through, therefore, capes or special covers are often purchased for such sofas.
Color solutions for corner sofas are multifaceted. Models can be of different colors and patterns, with the exception of acidic paints that violate any style. The accent of color is its nobility.
The shade can be different, but it must be different in purity, be free of impurities.
The favorites of the season are neutral and classic tones.... And if white is recognized as impractical today, then light gray, brown, beige and brown are in the center of attention. It is these shades that are in demand more than others, since they fit perfectly into almost any style and do not violate the harmony of design if they are matched to existing furniture.
Among color paints, models are especially popular with buyers: terracotta, light green, burgundy, chocolate, gray-blue, sand, cornflower blue and blue, khaki, olives.
How to choose a model?
The choice of a corner sofa in the living room depends on a number of factors. It is important that the furniture is style-forming, giving the living room individuality. Then she will be able to transform even the most modest interior, dividing the space into functional zones if necessary.
The approach to buying cannot be based solely on external indicators and sympathy. It is important to buy a model taking into account functionality and convenience. And this is made up of several mandatory factors:
- destination sofa (guest option, sitting area, sofa bed);
- matching the model to the intended style of the room or existing pieces of furniture in the room (for example, a neo-baroque sofa will not fit into the minimalism style of the room at all, the Arabian theme of the living room does not accept modern models, etc.);
- the correct choice of frame (plywood at the base is unacceptable, it is important that the sofa is on a metal frame and has at the base not a mesh with springs, but lattice battens);
- convenient, reliable, safe and simple transformation mechanism with less load on the body during operation (assembly and unfolding);
- flawless movement of the transformation mechanism (even the slightest looseness is unacceptable, since it is a marriage and will cause a reduction in the service life, leading to a quick breakdown of the system and the need to replace it);
- The "right" type of filler (it is important to choose a specific padding that can support the desired weight and ensure the correct support of the spine in any position - sitting or lying);
- the presence of spacious boxes for storing linen and other items (certain functionality that allows you to organize the space to the maximum in order to free the room from unnecessary items);
- high-quality and practical upholstery model (textile options made of thin fabric are excluded, which are moisture-permeable, do not retain dust and dirt);
- matching the color scheme of the design idea and color of the sofa (the shade or color pattern of the corner sofa should be the same tone with any interior item of the room);
- hygienic block filler material with antimicrobial and antiallergenic impregnation (they will not irritate the skin, which is important for good rest and undisturbed sleep);
- the correct selection of a sofa, taking into account the cost (for luxury furniture and wallpaper, you need not just a stylish, but the appropriate version of a premium sofa).
Inspection of the model must be thorough. It is important to check the operation of the transformation mechanism several times, to consider the material and shape of the armrests so that they cannot injure when there is a lack of living room space.
How to place it correctly?
Corner sofa models can be positioned anywhere. Today, manufacturers produce designs that fit perfectly in a small living room of a Khrushchev and in an ordinary apartment with a room of 16-18 sq. m. Such sofas fit into any setting, located not only against the wall or window:
- If the living room area allows, you can put a corner sofa in the center of the room, delimiting the areas of the room.
- If the living room has a bay window, it is even better: the sofa will successfully fit into the space allotted for it, without disturbing the general arrangement of furniture.
- If you want to put furniture by the window, you should leave a small margin of space between the sofa and the window: this is necessary for the convenience of transformation and the possibility of approaching the window.
- If there is not enough space in the room for transforming a corner sofa, you can pick up a long model that will unfold 1 - 1.5 m forward, while forming a fairly spacious sleeping place for two.
Beautiful interior design ideas
Living room design ideas with corner sofa are a special theme. It is undesirable to exactly copy the finished layout template, because you need to select the interior for a specific person, taking into account his needs, tastes and preferences.
Bright living room
If there are many windows in the room, it is better to place the corner sofa in the center, matching it to the color of the windows, walls, ceiling and book shelves (white). White color goes well with gray, so it is worth complementing the interior with a picture in gray tones, putting a dark gray carpet on the floor, repeating the shade in the color of pillows, pieces of furniture.
To highlight the light colors, you can lay brown linoleum and add a black tone with chairs, an armchair, an armrest cover and a flower pot.
If there is not much space in the living room, it is better to put a corner sofa next to the wall. To create the illusion of space, it is worth using the area correctly: add shelves to the wall, take furniture with a spacious linen drawer, put a cabinet with additional shelves. You can organize the space at the expense of the window by removing a table lamp and fresh flowers on the windowsill.
To make the room seem larger, the walls, ceiling, curtains should be white. The sofa can be selected in a dark but muted color, repeating the shade in several interior items (flower pot, painting pattern, book cover). To liven up the design, you will need beige and gray tones: it is better to decorate the sofa with decorative pillows.
The atmosphere of home comfort
Those who like modular sofa designs will love the idea of placing the sofa in the center of the room in front of a large plasma. And you can put the furniture as you like, even almost in a square! The model in gray with low backs and large pillows will appeal to all family members, especially if you decorate it with additional decorative pieces of cheerful sunny and green shades.
It is better to leave the walls white, but fill them with bright additions, without which the design will lose its brightness (paintings, a mirror, hang contrasting curtains). It is better to emphasize the floor with a dark gray color, and the furniture - brown, "wood-like". Green color can be repeated with greenery of natural flowers.