When arranging an apartment or house, you cannot do without comfortable upholstered furniture. When thinking about buying products for relaxation, first of all, they pay attention to the sofa, because it not only creates the general appearance of the room, but is also a gathering place for all household members. Recently, corner folding sofas have become very popular.
The corner version of the sofa has a number of features and advantages in comparison with the conventional model:
- The first difference is the design of the product itself, which is characterized by the presence of a corner element. It can be straight and attached to the main structure at an angle of 90 degrees, or it can be smoothly rounded.
The modification depends on the manufacturer and the model.
The presence of such a design allows it to be placed in the so-called blind zone, in the corner. The direct option to install in such a place will not work due to the lack of a corner element.
In addition, the corner sofa is suitable for installation in almost any room.
In a small living room, this option practically does not require additional furniture.
In some models, coffee tables, ottomans or niches are built into the sidewalls.
- A corner sofa with a folding mechanism looks great in studio apartments. In addition to its direct functions, it allows you to zone the space.
It is with the help of it that it is possible to separate the dining area from the recreation area.
- Do not forget about one more feature of the corner sofa. It can be installed not only in the corner, but also in the middle of the room. Thus, it will not be possible to install a direct option - it simply will not look as harmonious as a corner sofa.
- The presence of a transformation mechanism makes this sofa suitable for use as a comfortable sleeping place. The presence of a transformation mechanism in corner sofas allows their owners not to spend money on purchasing a bed, but to put off the savings for other needs.
- The corner sofa, in comparison with the straight version, due to its design, has a large capacity. And the very location of the interlocutors is conducive to more friendly communication.
There are many different models of corner sofas. They all differ in size, shape, the presence or absence of armrests, the type of built-in transformation mechanism, the presence or absence of various additional elements.
If we take into account the size of the product, then conditionally corner sofas can be divided into large and small:
- Large corner option perfect for installation in large rooms. HFor example, in a studio apartment. With the help of it, you can not only successfully zone the space, but also accommodate a large number of people.
This option is very suitable for a large and friendly family who loves to receive many guests in their home.
- For a living room with modest parameters, a small corner sofa is suitable. Even such a compact size of the sofa will make the room much more comfortable, and the design of the room will be original and expensive.
Corner sofas differ not only in size, but also in shape:
- Recently, in addition to the usual L-shaped forms, semicircular versions have appeared. The smoothness of the corners removes the problem of accidental bruises and injuries.Products of this shape can be installed in non-standard rooms.
- More familiar sofas with corner placement on the right or left side can be installed in all rooms. In addition, this form provides for the use of the sofa not only for gatherings, but also for sleeping.
By the method of forming a berth
According to the method of forming a berth, corner sofas are divided into roll-out, sliding and forward-folding:
- A roll-out sofa significantly saves the space of the room in which it is located. With a fixed backrest, the future berth is formed after stretching the seating position.
The seat moves forward thanks to the wheels attached to the bottom.
- For sliding sofas, the berth is formed by folding it out. As a rule, all parts of the sofa are involved in the formation of the sleeping surface. The components do not have wheels, unfolding takes place thanks to the built-in transformation mechanism.
The forward-folding corner sofas feature an under-seat structure.
In addition to the main varieties, there are corner sofas with various additional elements:
- Boxes for linen. They are present in almost all models and are located in the corner module, where an additional sleeping surface is hidden.
- In addition to the bedding box, there are other additions such as: movable armrests and headrests, built-in shelves in the sidewalls and corner pieces, adjustable backrests and many other additional features.
There are modular corner sofas that differ from other models in their unusual design. Modular systems, installed mainly in living rooms, consist of free-standing sections, thanks to which you can create any composition and with any corner arrangement.
For the formation of a berth, such mechanisms as a roll-out, French clamshell and American clamshells are used.
There are various transformation mechanisms in corner sofas, which are used not only for sitting and gathering guests, but also for a night's rest.
Modern trendy corner sofas are equipped with a French folding bed, which is located assembled under the seat. The mechanism, the basis of which consists of a metal frame, is either equipped with a springy metal mesh, or attached armor, coupled with a durable awning.
The frame itself is made of durable metal pipes with a special coating. For rigidity and shape retention, the base of the French folding bed is reinforced with two transverse elements. The mesh model is available in various mesh sizes.
The smaller the cell size, the higher the orthopedic effect.
The mattress, which is part of the French folding bed, is made of polyurethane foam with a height of 6 to 10 cm. For models where the base is a springy mesh, more dense mattresses are made in comparison with models with a base made of lat.
The design has three folds. The head part rests on a special mounting angle, the middle and foot parts are installed on metal U-shaped legs. In order to unfold it, you need to remove the pillows and other additional elements from the seat, gently pulling the mechanism up and towards you, unfold all parts of the frame, installing the structure on the legs.
This transformation mechanism has several advantages:
- Its layout in length does not take up much space and does not spoil the floor covering.
- The structure itself is hidden in the depths of the model; no special efforts are required for the layout.
A more detailed procedure for using this mechanism can be seen in the next video.
Corner options with a roll-out mechanism are no less popular.There are various options for a withdrawable mechanism. The sleeping place rolls out forward together with the filler or the sleeping place box rolls out, on which the mattress is laid on top.
This common type of transformation is very reliable and is designed for daily use.
In order to unfold the sofa, you just need to pull the front part towards you by the attached loop and the front half, fastened to the other two, will roll forward, forming a flat surface that is used later for sleeping.
When buying a folding corner sofa, you need to pay attention to the frame and upholstery fabric:
- The frame is made of wood, metal and chipboard. They all vary in price, strength and durability.
- The cost of a wooden frame directly depends on the type of wood used for manufacturing. Frameworks made of beech, oak and ash are particularly durable. However, products from these breeds are distinguished by a high price. Lower cost frames are made from softwood. In addition to them, birch is used in production, which is distinguished by its durability and low price.
- An alternative to a wooden frame is a metal structure. The metal frame can withstand serious loads and does not deform for a long time.
- Chipboard frame is unstable and short-lived. The only plus of this design is its low cost. Therefore, when buying a corner sofa, you should prefer a model that will have a frame either made of wood or metal.
As a filler, polyurethane foam, latex or a spring block can be used:
- If you give preference to PPU, then you need to pay attention to the thickness of this material and the density. The higher the indicators, the longer the sofa will last without losing its functionality.
- If your choice fell on the model with a spring block, then the best option would be a sofa with an independent spring block. The springs in such a block are compressed independently of each other, due to which they are less susceptible to deformation and better follow the contours of the body.
When choosing an upholstery, it is necessary to take into account where the sofa will stand, and in what capacity it will be used more often:
- If the installation is planned in a studio apartmentwhere the kitchen is not separated from the rest of the space by a door, then a fabric that does not absorb odors should be chosen.
In addition, it is better if the upholstery is treated with a special impregnation, for example Teflon, which makes the fabric water-repellent.
- If the corner sofa is supposed to be used as a permanent bed, then the fabric should be soft, but at the same time resistant to abrasion.
The type of transformation mechanism also matters when buying a corner sofa:
- If the product is not planned to be laid out every day, then the option with a French folding bed will do.
- A draw-out mechanism is suitable for everyday use. It is durable, strong, and the surface formed when unfolding is flat.
You can choose the best option for a corner folding sofa if you correctly arrange all the priorities and take into account all the details.