Corner sofa covers
Owners of corner sofas are often faced with the fact that a completely suitable product loses its aesthetic appearance. A couple of spots or scratches on the upholstery completely spoil the overall look of the room. It also happens that you want to keep your favorite sofa in its original form, but you can't blow off dust particles from it. Ordinary bedspreads or capes are inconvenient: they move out, get confused and do not really protect, only furniture covers can help in this. Let's get to know them better.
Features and Benefits
Furniture covers perform important functions:
- Protection. The cover can be purchased as a set with the sofa. Small children and pets make the cover an absolutely irreplaceable item. New upholstery will avoid hazards such as scratches, puffs, wool and dirt stains.
- Update. Over time, the sofa loses its rich color, it is rubbed in places, irreducible stains appear on it, which have their own history, traces of claws and wool. The cover will perfectly hide all existing imperfections.
- New style. No matter how beautiful the purchased sofa is, over time it will get bored. And fashion is a very capricious lady. In the new season, the old color can be a sign of bad taste. A well-chosen cover not only refreshes the interior, but also allows you to always stay in trend.
The advantages are the following:
- Sofa safety. Covers, in contrast to the upholstery constriction, which requires disassembly of the sofa mechanism, retain its factory assembly, and, therefore, do not harm its internal parts in any way.
- Practicality. Once the product has become dirty, it can be quickly removed and washed.
- Easy to install. You can put on the product yourself. It doesn't take a lot of time. If you wish, you can change the covers every month or week.
- Diversity. On sale there are products from materials of different colors and textures, all possible styles and types.
- Price. The most expensive cover is cheaper than replacing the upholstery, and all the more cheaper than a new sofa.
Covers can cover the entire sofa, or individual elements. In this case, their cost will be lower, however, they will not perform all the functions of a full cover. Let's dwell on the covers for the entire sofa. There is a wide range of covers for corner sofas. Various styles, materials and prices.
It is worth considering only the size of the structure. Where is the ledge to the right or left. There are armrests or a shelf - it doesn't matter, as models for all sofa options are on sale. It remains only to find them.
Types of covers for corner sofas:
- Cape. It is a bedspread made of dense material, fixed on the sofa with decorative ties, ribbons or Velcro. Lightning bolts can sometimes be used. The product adheres well to the furniture and does not slip, unlike ordinary capes.
- Product with an elastic band. An elastic band runs along the edge of such a cover. As a rule, such products stretch well and are suitable for furniture of any configuration.
- Eurocover. A dimensionless product that takes any shape. This quality is due to the elasticity and elasticity of the material. Eurocovers are durable, versatile and practical.
The form is distinguished:
- Free. They can hide the flaws in furniture. The bag-like product is fixed with bows and ribbons. Made from dense materials. Sometimes in combination with lungs.
- Cascading. A feature is the presence of a large number of frills, draperies. Attached with ties and Velcro.
- Tight-fitting. Well-fitting or well-stretch covers. Ideal for the shape of the sofa.
- Dense. This option is more often sewn to order, as it should perfectly fit the size of the sofa. Any wrinkle and unevenness will be conspicuous.
Materials and fasteners
When choosing a cover, you need to think about the material from which it is made. The quality, practicality and service life of the product depend on its characteristics.
You should also take into account the conditions for using the furniture:
- Permanent sleeping place... It is necessary to choose wear-resistant materials that do not fade, do not fade and, moreover, remain durable. Mainly synthetic fabrics have similar characteristics. Their environmental friendliness is no less important.
- The presence of small children and pets. Choose a non-staining fabric with the expectation of frequent washing. A reluctance to puff and pick up wool will also be a plus.
- Living room. The face of the house, a place to receive guests. It is worth dwelling on materials with an interesting texture, unusual colors and elegant designs.
Let's consider the most common materials:
- Velours. The velvety, soft surface, low cost compared to real velvet and durability have made velor popular. Does not accumulate static electricity, is easy to clean and does not cause allergic reactions.
- Flock. Soft yet durable. Does not deform and repels water. A distinctive feature of this material is its immunity to light. It does not fade when exposed to sunlight.
- Cotton. Natural origin provides an eco-friendly and breathable structure. It has bright, beautiful colors due to the ease of coloring. Absorbs moisture well.
- Jacquard. It can consist of both natural and artificial fibers. Retains color for a long time. Stretches well. The main characteristic is strength, due to the presence of synthetic polyester and elastane in the composition. A special feature is an interesting relief pattern reminiscent of a tapestry.
- Relax. It looks like natural leather. Does not absorb water and recovers well. A distinctive feature is the absence of puffs, which will be pleased with pet owners.
- Nubuck. Looks like suede. Distinguish between natural and artificial by the type of raw material - leather. The latter is much cheaper and more unpretentious to care for. Natural nubuck has low wear resistance and requires special care. Artificial nubuck is often used for furniture in offices and food outlets.
- Microfiber or microfiber. Thin polymer fiber. Copies natural suede. It lends itself well to washing. Has a high absorbency, while dries quickly. In addition, moisture will not get from the front side to the wrong side, which perfectly protects the furniture. The microfiber cover does not fade or roll.
- Eco leather. Textile base covered with rubber or polyethylene. To make the material look like natural leather, a special impression is made. It is used for office furniture and as a replacement for natural leather in home interiors.
- Polyester. Synthetic fabric. Wear-resistant, safe. It can take any form. Does not wrinkle.
- Chenille. A material that has received recognition for its special, characteristic pattern. Previously, a similar texture was created manually by additional winding of threads. The use of automatic machines has made it possible to reduce the cost of the chenille. It contains cotton, acrylic, viscose and polyester. Does not tolerate moisture and can only be dry cleaned.
- Velveteen. It keeps its shape well, which is important for cape covers. Does not creep or crumble. Tight and durable. The usual solution of ammonia will help to restore its original appearance.
- Teak. Herringbone cotton fabric.Does not fade or fade in the sun. Due to the special weave, it has a high density.
- Damascus. It is based on silk, woolen, cotton or linen fabric. A material characterized by nobility and brilliance. A characteristic feature is a floral ornament.
- Brocade. Currently made from artificial fibers. Rough and variegated - it can become the main accent of the interior. The presence of metallic threads requires special care.
- Tapestry. Natural wool, cotton, linen, silk, gold and silver threads, lurex and synthetic fibers are used as composite materials. High density, as a result - dimensional stability and wear resistance. A wide selection of textures, colors, ornaments and subjects. Good color retention. Does not tolerate ironing and home washing. It is necessary to give it to dry cleaning.
So that the cover does not get lost and does not cause inconvenience, it should be fixed, for this there are the following methods:
- Zipper. Used for tight covers. Most often hidden, but sometimes it stands out with a bright color, as an element of decor.
- Ties. Suitable for loose fit garments. Materials may vary. Decorative cords, satin ribbons, lace.
- Buttons and buttons. A decorative element that performs a fastening function.
- Fixing tapes. Velcro is a two-piece fastener: the hard one is nailed to the sofa, and the soft one is sewn to the cover. Hidden elements.
- Elastic band sewn on the edge. Suitable for non-removable pillows.
Corner sofas are large and massive. Thanks to the fold-out sleeping place, it becomes even larger. The parameters of such products lie within wide limits and depend on the number of people who will use the structure for sleeping. Children's products, for example, have a berth length of 150 cm. If the sofa is used by an adult - 200 or 210 cm. Standard dimensions are 3800x2000 mm.
For owners of furniture of unusual dimensions and shapes, it is better to dwell on universal covers made of stretching material. On the corner sofas, they sit like a glove.
When buying a cover, it is worth considering not only the length of the berth, but also the height of the back. All types of covers are perfect for corner sofas. You should also pay attention to the side of the ledge and the presence of armrests and shelves.
Many furniture manufacturers offer covers for their products:
- The world famous Ikea is an example of such a manufacturer. However, there are many companies that have nothing to do with the furniture of this company, nevertheless, specializing in covers for it. The number of offers cannot be counted. Different prices. Many manufacturers offer a custom tailoring service, taking into account the wishes of the client. These can be various style solutions or products for furniture of an unusual shape.
- Turkish products are the most popular. Low cost and ease of maintenance have won the heart of the consumer. These qualities are due to the use of synthetic fabrics. The material most often consists of cotton, polyester and elastane. The final cost of the product depends on their ratio. The greater the proportion of synthetics, the cheaper the cover will come out. The assortment of goods is wide, mainly in solid colors. They benefit from the texture of the material.
- Turkish manufacturers hold the palm in the variety of products offered. Due to their versatility and convenience, well-stretching covers are the most widespread. Manufacturers have also focused on the production of these particular models. Something else can be found, but somewhat more difficult and costly.
How to take a measurement to buy a cover?
When buying a universal cover for a corner sofa, you need to measure the length of its back and correlate this size with the stretch parameters of the cover. The length of the corner sofa can be up to 5.5 meters.Owners of a good eye can simply estimate how many people will fit on the sofa seat.
In most cases, the covers indicate the category of furniture for which they are intended: double, triple. In the case of capes, it is necessary to clarify the model of your sofa and find out if the selected cape fits your sofa. When buying, pay attention to which side the ledge is on.
How to put it on correctly?
Making a corner sofa with a cover does not require special knowledge, the main thing is to be careful and neat.
Dressing is done as follows:
- It is necessary to move the sofa away from the wall in order to be able to reach any part of it.
- We lay out the cover according to the corners of the sofa. We focus on the ledge.
- If there are no additional instructions in the instructions, then you can put on the cover from either side. The main thing is to follow step 2 correctly.
- We spread the material over the entire surface.
- We fix the cover. Products are most often fixed at the top and bottom.
- Stretching types of covers form voids. We get rid of them with the help of special gaskets. We insert them into the slots between the back and the seat. Ready!
See the following video for an illustrative way of pulling on the cover.
In order not to be disappointed in the purchase, before going to the store, decide on the following characteristics:
- Textile. Select based on the conditions of use. Study the most common materials and choose the option that suits your characteristics.
- Colour. Decide on a color based on the overall style of the room. Remember that light-colored covers get dirty quickly, which means they need to be washed frequently. Give preference to a dense product that will retain its structure after a lot of washes.
- Style. Directly depends on the type of construction. Find out if there are ready-made covers for your model.
- Dimensions. The cover must fit the size of your sofa. Check which dimensions are required for the selected model.
The variety of types, styles, shapes and sizes of cases is completely confusing. Therefore, use some of the secrets of buying them:
- A non-stretching regular cover assumes knowledge of the exact dimensions of the furniture. Check with the sellers for the required dimensions and check them again before buying.
- Custom cases are certainly quite expensive. However, this is a way to get a completely unique piece that meets all practical and aesthetic requirements.
- Eurocover is the simplest and most convenient option. Easy to put on and take off, no special maintenance required. The widest assortment of this particular type of covers is on sale.
- When buying, pay attention to the weakest points of the product, namely: the quality of fittings and fasteners. This will help to immediately recognize a fake.
- Do not make a final purchase decision without checking the quality of the seams, the integrity of the fabric, and the absence of defects.
- Remember, the more decorative elements there are, the more chances they will fall out. In addition, a simple product is easier to care for.
- Read the instructions. There are covers made of fabrics that require special care.
- Sometimes covers are sold with ready-made accessories that match the style - rollers, tablecloths, decorative pillows and napkins.
Do it yourself
Creative people can make interesting and stylish cases with their own hands. This can be done in different ways. For example, knit or sew. Knitted covers will be especially relevant in the cold season. Use the crochet technique, such a cover is denser than knitting, will not stretch and will last much longer. To increase the wear resistance of the product, add synthetic threads to natural ones. You can knit with diamonds, squares, use different colors. You can decorate the edges with lace.
It does not matter whether the cover is sewn or knitted, the scheme for its creation is approximately the same and consists of the following stages:
- The choice of fabric, yarn.
- Measurement of the parameters of the sofa.
- Calculation of the amount of material.
- Making patterns.
- Fitting, basting.
In addition to desire and material, you will need tools:
- a set of needles;
- sewing machine;
- measuring instrument (meter, tape measure);
- marker, bar of soap, or crayons.
When choosing a fabric, consider the conditions in which it will be used. If you have children or pets, it is better to stay on non-marking and durable materials.
The parameters of the sofa are needed to calculate the amount of material. For the convenience and accuracy of the result, it is necessary to visually divide the sofa into rectangular parts and calculate their areas. The sum of the areas of all rectangles will be the amount of fabric needed.
You should also estimate the amount of material needed for small items and add them to the total. Remember that the fabric needs to be bought with a margin, so we add another meter to the resulting number. It is better to have a surplus than a disadvantage. In addition, the leftover material can be useful when restoring worn parts.
We wash the cover, iron it, put it on the sofa and admire the result of our labors. The uniqueness of each sofa model leads to the impossibility of general recommendations for making patterns. Each sofa has its own characteristics.
When measuring a sofa, mark its dimensions on paper. Consider the scale. Later, these parameters will be applied to the material. Style decisions entirely depend on your imagination. However, if you lack sewing experience, avoid fabrics with ornaments or intricate patterns. The fabric will have to be adjusted according to the pattern, which will require not only skill, but also more material.
How to cut?
The main and most difficult stage of creating a cape for a sofa is making a pattern. If there is no or very little experience in sewing covers, it makes sense to practice on any unnecessary fabric. We make a pattern, sew it by hand with large quilted stitches and try on. There are almost always places that need to be improved. We adjust. A miracle happens and the cover sits perfectly on the sofa. We carefully unpick it and get a ready-made pattern that perfectly matches the desired sofa.
If you have enough experience and self-confidence, then you can do without training. To make a pattern, you need the following tools at hand: paper (millimeter paper is better, but ordinary paper will do), crayons (make sure they are not easy to wash), meter and scissors.
Here we use the previously prepared dimensions:
- To do this, the fabric must be spread on a horizontal surface with the wrong side up.
- Mark the dimensions with a piece of soap, a marker or crayon. We leave allowances of one to two centimeters for seams and fit.
- We cut out the finished silhouettes and sew them by hand or pin them together with pins.
- We make a fitting and evaluate the general appearance of the resulting semi-finished product.
- We eliminate inaccuracies and shortcomings with the help of pins and a couple of stitches. Having achieved a satisfactory result, we sew everything on a typewriter.
- Then we remove the remaining hand seams and sew on various decorations. They can be functional locks and buttons.
- Lace, frills, flounces will add romance to the interior. Decorative ribbons, ribbons and embroidery will emphasize originality.
- Keep in mind that all additional elements should not only fit into the overall interior, but also match the main material of the cover in texture and color.
Convenience is also worth considering. A pair of pockets will help you store small things like your TV remote.
However, every good seamstress has her own secrets:
- The larger the seam allowances, the more room for maneuver when adjusting the product.
- The stronger the threads, the longer the cover will last. In the case of using thin threads, the product will have to be altered very soon as it begins to creep at the seams.
- Remember, the stitch size depends on the fabric. A stitch that is too small will destroy its structure. We sew dense materials twice.
- Take a closer look at the sofa. Often, at first glance, even areas have some deviations. Add a couple of millimeters to the parameters of the areas you are not quite sure about.
- If the cover slips off, you can solve the problem with the help of a clothesline, simply by sewing it on the back.
- The leftover material can be used to sew wonderful decorative pillows.
Do not forget that the sofa is the main piece of the interior, a kind of emperor of the room. Therefore, it is worth paying close attention to his style. However, even the most beautiful and elegant image sooner or later becomes boring. The use of covers will help to solve this problem. They can easily change the appearance of furniture. Covers can be anything you like. By mood, by days of the week, by season. Luxurious or ascetic. With and without frills. Two-color, three-color and solid colors.
Consider various design options:
- The combination of warm, eye-pleasing colors is perfect for a child's room. And the striped material of the sofa and pillows will not let the latter get lost against its background. Finer stripes will add a touch of fun to your interior.
- Patchwork covers will add coziness and originality to your interior. Moreover, they are very interesting to create by hand. Bows, ribbons will perfectly decorate a plain sofa and add zest to your interior.
- Covers are universal. They will perfectly complement any interior - from strict classics to luxurious baroque. Harmonious color, interesting pattern and matching fabric are three elements of guaranteed success.